Sunday 23 December 2018

Six Questions which predict Team Success and set your agenda for 2019.

I have worked with a lot of clients in 2018, which has been great. I really value the short, interesting and productive engagements as much as the longer projects that deliver outputs, outcomes and overall improvements for people and the business.

One of the shorter but interesting facilitation engagements was to ask a team the following six questions and get their ideas for how to make the answer YES for each.

  1.  I know what is expected of me at work
  2.  I have the materials and equipment I need to do my job right
  3.  I have the opportunity to do what I do best every-day
  4.  In the last 7 days I have received recognition or praise for doing good work
  5.  Someone at work encourages my development
  6.  At work, my opinions count
The key themes (in this example, which may not be representative for other organisations) included...
  • People understand the role of management in co-ordination, communication and collaboration but don't value micro-management of tasks.
  • People don't like chaos. There is a strong preference for predictable environments, managed workflow, consistent decisions and priorities and time to focus and get things right.
  • People don't mind being measured (eg timesheets, objectives, KPIs, successes) if they are clear about the objective, benefits and have the freedom to decide "how" they do their work.
  • People often know the best free tools, techniques and methods to do their job faster, cheaper and better. A lot of time, money, effort is wasted with indecision and interruption which compromise the outcomes.
  • People value being valued and that isn't always about remuneration. Sometimes it is thanks, appreciation, training, or simply being recognised as having achieved objectives, KPIs, successes etc.

What is so great is that people want the answer to be YES and given the freedom to suggest ideas will work hard to come up with solutions that make the work place a better, more fun and productive place to work.



No comments:

Post a Comment