Saturday 3 February 2018

Coupled with stress, ethical leadership can lead to employee deviance and turnover



Key points

“If someone is an ethical leader but induces stress, our research shows that his or her employees will feel less support,” said lead author Matthew Quade, Ph.D., assistant professor of management. “Thus, employees who do not feel supported are more likely to consider leaving their jobs or engage in workplace deviance – things like coming in late to work, daydreaming, not following instructions or failing to be as productive as they could be.”

The researchers wrote: “Ethical leadership can be an exacting process of sustaining high ethical standards, ensuring careful practice and enforcement of all rules and meeting leaders’ lofty expectations, all of which can consume time and energy and be perceived by employees as overly demanding or an obstacle to job performance.”

As part of the study, those surveyed were asked to what extent they agreed or disagreed with the following statements:

  • My supervisor makes it so that I have to go through a lot of red tape to get my job done.
  • Working with my supervisor makes it hard to understand what is expected of me.
  • I receive conflicting requests from my supervisor.
  • My supervisor creates many hassles to go through to get projects/assignments done.
  • Working with him/her thwarts my personal growth and well-being.
  • In general, I feel that my supervisor hinders my personal accomplishment.
  • I feel that my supervisor constrains my achievement of personal goals and development.

See more at
https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=194125

TimHJRogers@AdaptConsultingGroup.Com

+447797762051 Skype: timhjrogers TimHJRogers@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment